When using Bottom-up Mesh in Abaqus, sometimes an error message of “boundary conditions reference regions which contains geometric entities that are not associated with a mesh” may pop up after submit the job. One of my colleague suggested following tip to solve it.
The aim is to project the nodes of meshed elements in certain faces on which the boundary conditions are set to these according faces. The procedure of doing this is:
- In Mesh module, from the menu bar, click Mesh, Edit to open the Edit Mesh dialogue window.
- Choose Node in Category.
- Choose Project in Method.
- Then, in the main viewport panel, following the instructions in status bar:
- Select the nodes to project [individually; by angle; by feature edge] ( by angle is recommanded if the face is flat),
- Then click Done button, and
- Select the entity to project to (here we click on the face as object; if the face is not continuous, choosing a part of it will work, too),
- Click Yes to accept the projecting operation.
- Click X to end the procedure.
After this, we can create a Set of these nodes, then apply Boundary Conditions to this Set, instead of applying BCs to the according face.©